9/21/08

The Book of Revelation: The Visions

The visions of the Apocalypse

A mini-study on the Apocalypse, or, the Revelation: (Greek: apokalupsis [ap-ok-al'-oop-sis]: disclosure:--appearing, coming, lighten, manifestation, be revealed, revelation. (Strong's)
-----------------------------------
In the first verse of the Book of Revelation we see an angel sent to notify the apostle John that he is the chosen vessel to be given the message of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. That revelation, he would learn later, was to consist of "the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter" (v. 19):

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John (Rev. 1:1):

The apostle John then relates the circumstances of the day that he was commissioned by the Lord Jesus Christ himself to write in a book those things that would be "revealed". He was to write in a book the things that would be shown him. In the tenth and eleventh verses of the first chapter we read his account of what happened that day:

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book

WHAT EXACTLY DID JOHN SEE, AND WRITE IN A BOOK? HE SAW A SERIES OF VISIONS, AND HE WROTE THEM, AS INSTRUCTED, IN THE BOOK WHICH WE NOW KNOW AS THE BOOK OF THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST. HERE IS HIS TESTIMONY:

(1) I saw seven golden candlesticks...and one like unto the Son of man 1:12, 13.
(2) I [saw] looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven. 4:1.
(3) I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment. 4:4.
(4) I saw in the right hand of Him that sat on the throne a book, written within and without. 5:1.
(5) I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice. 5:2.
(6) And I [saw] beheld, in the midst of the throne...stood a Lamb as it had been slain 5:6.
(7) And I [saw] beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne. 5:11.
(8) And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals. 6:1.
(9) I saw, and behold a white horse. 6:2.
(10) And [I saw] there went out another horse that was red. 6:4.
(11) And I [saw] beheld, and lo a black horse. 6:5.
(12) And I [saw] looked, and behold a pale horse. 6:8.
(13) I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God. 6:9.
(14) I beheld [saw] and...lo, there was a great earthquake. 6:12.
(15) I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth. 7:1.
(16) I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God 7:2.
(17) After this I [saw] beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number. 7:9.
(18) I saw the seven angels which stood before God. 8:2.
(19) And I [saw] beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, 8:13.
(20) I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth. 9:1.
(21) I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone. 9:17.
(22) I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud. 10:1.
(23) I...saw a beast rise up out of the sea. 13:1.
(24) I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death. 13:3.
(25) And I [saw] beheld another beast coming up out of the earth. 13:11.
(26) And I [saw] looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Zion. 14:1.
(27) And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven 14:6.
(28) And I [saw] looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man 14:14.
(29) And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels having the seven last plagues. 15:1.
(30) And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire. 15:2.
(31) And after that I [saw] looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened. 15:5
(32) And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon...16:13.
(33) I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast. 17:3.
(34) I saw another angel come down from heaven. 18:1.
(35) I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse...and he that sat upon him. 19:11.
(36) I saw an angel standing in the sun. 19:17.
(37) I saw the beast and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together. 19:19.
(38) I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit. 20:1.
(39) I saw thrones and they sat upon them. 20:4.
(40) I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it. 20:11.
(41) I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God, and the books were opened 20:12.
(42) I saw a new heaven and a new earth. 21:1.
(43) I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven 21:2.

(44) I John saw these things and heard them. 22:8.
***
What John did not see:
In 21:2 John saw the holy city coming down out of heaven. In 21:10, an angel comes to show him the city, the new Jerusalem, and it is then that the one mention of what John did not see is recorded: In 21:22 John writes: And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
**********************************
1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

No comments :