5/17/08

Professing Christian, "A Friend Of The World" Is Still "The Enemy Of God"

James 4:4 'Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God'

"If I find anybody who is settled down too snugly into this world, I'm made to doubt his spiritual regenesis--whether he's ever truly been born again. He can live here and work here and serve here. But if I find he fits down into the world like a hand into an old and familiar glove, I worry a little bit about the man. Because all the Christians I meet who are amounting to anything are Christians that are very much out of key with their age--very, very much out of tune with their generation. Jesus called it a 'wicked and adulterous generation,' and that generation has not improved any--we're still the same wicked and adulterous generation that were in the days of Jesus. And if you can live in it too comfortably I am being made to wonder if the miracle has ever been wrought in your life or not... The Christian has a homeland (Rev. 21:2,10,23,27) and the fact that we're not anticipating it or looking forward to it with any pleasure is a serious mark that something is wrong with us." - A.W. Tozer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Matt. 16:24 'Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me'

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

This world is not my home....i'm just passing through....and looking and waiting for the Blessed Hope.

Anonymous said...

In 248 A.D. Cyprian, the Bishop of Carthage, wrote the following to his friend Donatus about Christians:

"This seems to be a cheerful world, Donatus, when I view it from this fair garden under the shadow of these vines. But if I climb some great mountain and look out over the wide lands, you know very well what I would see -- brigands on the road, pirates on the seas, in the amphitheaters men murdering each other to please the applauding crowds, and under all roofs I see misery and selfishness. It is really a bad world, Donatus, an incredibly bad world. Yet in the midst of it, I have found a quiet and holy people. They have discovered a joy which is a thousand times better than any pleasure of this sinful life. They are despised and persecuted but they care not, These people, Donatus, are Christians and I am one of them."