11/21/15

As Evil Reigns In The End-Of-This-Age, What Should A True Believer Do? Keep In Mind...The World Passeth Away, But God Is Thy Portion Forever - Swinnock; 1600's

'God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever' - Psalms 73:26

Others, indeed, have their parts on this side the land of promise, but the author of all portions is the matter of my portion. My portion doth not lie in the rubbish and lumber, as theirs doth whose portion is in this life, be they never so large; but my portion containeth him whom the heavens, and heaven of heavens, can never contain. God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever; not for a year, or an age, or a million of ages, but for eternity. Though others' portions, like roses, the fuller they blow, the sooner they shed; they are worsted often by their pride, and wasted through their prodigality, so that at last they come to want—and surely death always rends their persons and portions asunder; yet my portion will be ever full, without diminution. Without alteration, this God will be my God for ever and ever, my guide and aid unto death; nay, death, which dissolves so many bonds, and unties such close knots, shall never part me and my portion, but give me a perfect and everlasting possession of it.  - George Swinnock 1627–1673
***
1John 2:17 'And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever'
___________________________________________________

No comments :