6/10/18

As Evil Reigns In The End-Of-This-Age, What Should A Believer Do? Keep Running Your Race - 1Cor. 9:24; John Bunyan 1698  [Audio]

So run, that ye may obtain 1 Corinthians 9:24

"The Heavenly Footman", by John Bunyan, 1698. Reposted from a few years back. While the world and those 'running' it today are running headlong into gross darkness (Isaiah 60:2), you, believer, just keep running a nice steady pace the other way...because this world passeth away, but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever (1John 2:15-17). So run ye...

********************************************************************
The Heavenly Footman
OR,
A description of the man that gets to Heaven; together with the way he runs in, the marks he goes by; also, some
D I R E C T I O NS
how to run so as to obtain. With an epistle to all the slothful and careless people.
By J O H N B U N Y A N.
1698.
"The doctrine is this: THEY THAT WILL HAVE HEAVEN, MUST RUN FOR IT; I say, they that will have heaven, they must run for it. I beseech you to heed it well. Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run ye. The prize is heaven, and if you will have it, you must run for it. You have another scripture for this in the 12th of the Hebrews, the 1st, 2d, and 3rd verses: Wherefore seeing we also, saith the apostle, are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us. And LET US RUN, saith he. Again, saith Paul, I therefore so run, not as uncertainly, so fight I, &c."
mini book 'Heavenly Footman': text or pdf (worth printing - approx. 28 pp.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Bunyan, famed for the classic book 'Pilgrim's Progress', was a prolific author. Here is another example of his excellent work, exhorting the professing believer in that it is no wisdom to take their salvation lightly. In these times of deep apostasy we do well to turn back and ground ourselves in some unquestionably "sound doctrine", capably expounded, as in this particular work by Bunyan.


[Complete audio (redone), unabridged, w/scrolling text for read along; Note audio a robo-voice - MS 'David' - significantly speeded up, tone lowered, definitely 'listenable to' - w/scrolling text especially; 72 min. (it is lengthy, listening/watching in parts can be a good approach.]
Video embed code [adjust height/width as needed]:

<iframe src="https://www.bitchute.com/embed/pLmLTrdxaeBF/" width="550" height="309"</iframe>


vidlink - for enlarge or full screen

Excerpt: "The Sixth Direction. Take heed that you have not an ear open to every one that calleth after you as you are in your journey. Men that run, you know, if any do call after them, saying, I would speak with you, or go not too fast, and you shall have my company with you, if they run for some great matter, they use to say, Alas, I cannot stay, I am in haste, pray talk not to me now; neither can I stay for you, I am running for a wager: if I win I am made, if I lose I am undone, and therefore hinder me not. Thus wise are men when they run for corruptible things, and thus should thou do, and thou hast more cause to do so than they, forasmuch as they run but for things that last not, but thou for an incorruptible glory. I give thee notice of this betimes, knowing that thou shalt have enough call after thee, even the devil, sin, this world, vain company, pleasures, profits, esteem among men, ease, pomp, pride, together with an innumerable company of such companions; one crying, Stay for me; the other saying, Do not leave me behind; a third saying, And take me along with you. What, will you go, saith the devil, without your sins, pleasures, and profits? Are you so hasty? Can you not stay and take these along with you? Will you leave your friends and companions behind you? Can you not do as your neighbours do, carry the world, sin, lust, pleasure, profit, esteem among men, along with you? Have a care thou do not let thine ear now be open to the tempting, enticing, alluring, and soul-entangling flatteries of such sink-souls as these are. My son, saith Solomon, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not (Prov 1:10)."

Heb. 2:3 "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him..."
________________________________________________________



No comments :