11/20/19

Psalms 119:158 'I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; because they kept not thy word' - (On This Luther 1483-1546:)

Psalms 119:158 'I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; because they kept not thy word'

Grieved, because they kept not thy law. I never thought the world had been so wicked, when the Gospel began, as now I see it is; I rather hoped that every one would have leaped for joy to have found himself freed from the filth of the Pope, from his lamentable molestations of poor troubled consciences, and that through Christ they would by faith obtain the celestial treasure they sought after before with such vast cost and labour, though in vain. And especially I thought the bishops and universities would with joy of heart have received the true doctrines; but I have been lamentably deceived. Moses and Jeremiah, too, complained they had been deceived. — Martin Luther.

***
Excerpted from Spurgeon's 'Treasury of David' Psalms 119
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rev. 16:10-11 'And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

No comments :