8/3/22

Believer - No Place For You In This World Gone Mad? Say "The LORD Is My Portion"   -- Thomas Brooks 1608-1680

[reposted from years back]  The world has gone off the deep end. It is not to be saved but judged. Unregenerate Professing-Christendom, compromised with the world - lifeless counterfeit forged-bibles and all, along with every other world-religion, is not to be saved, but judged with the world, for they all are of the world [Jude 1:11]. But true believers - they are few says the Holy Bible [Matt. 7:14]. So should it be any wonder then in seeing that in this world now nearing it's final destination on the Broad Way - which is destruction [Matthew 7:13], in the form of a face to face confrontation with the Lamb-of-God whom they slew [Rev. 6:15-17] - that there is no more place for you in it? No place to turn, no place to go, and perhaps even no companions with whom to-not have a place to turn, or with whom to-not have a place to go? Wonder not, for the Word of God said it would be exactly as you now find it [1 John 2:17]. And be not dismayed, for if this is you, you may say with the psalmist:
***
Psalms 119:57 'Thou art my portion, O LORD'

Luther counsels every Christian to answer all temptations with this short saying, "Christianus sum, " I am a Christian; and I would counsel every Christian to answer all temptations with this short saying, "The LORD is my portion." O Christian, when Satan or the world shall tempt thee with honours, answer, "The LORD is my portion"; when they shall tempt thee with riches, answer, "The LORD is my portion"; when they shall tempt thee with preferments, answer, "The LORD is my portion"; and when they shall tempt thee with the favours of great ones, answer, "The LORD is my portion"; yea, and when this persecuting world shall threaten thee with the loss of thy estate, answer, "The LORD is my portion": and when they shall threaten thee with the loss of thy liberty, answer, "The LORD is my portion"; and when they shall threaten thee with the loss of friends, answer, "The LORD is my portion"; and when they shall threaten thee with the loss of life, answer, "The LORD is my portion".

O, sir, if Satan should come to thee with an apple, as once he did to Eve [Genesis 3:1], tell him that "the LORD is your portion"; or with a grape, as once he did to Noah [Gen. 9:20-21], tell him that "the LORD is your portion"; or with a change of raiment, as once he did to Gehazi [2Kings 5:25-26], tell him that "the LORD is your portion"; or with a wedge of gold, as once he did to Achan [Joshua 7:20-21], tell him that "the LORD is your portion"; or with a bag of money, as once he did to Judas [Matthew 26:14-15], tell him that "the LORD is your portion"; or with a crown, a kingdom, as once he did to Moses [Hebrews 11:24-27], tell him that "the LORD is your portion."  -- Thomas Brooks 1608-1680; excerpted from Spurgeon's Treasury of David - Psalms 119

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lamentations 3:24 'The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him'

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this posting; it has blessed me so much (and I am sure many others as well). Oh, how lonely the narrow road is at times. The LORD is my portion...Amen! Tom, your ministry is sooooo appreciated. God Bless you and yours!

tom m. said...

Anon,

Another thing, after the above, is to add this saying:

Psalms 70:4 '...let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified'

Linda said...

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,

When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

The movie Member of the Wedding has two beautiful singing versions of His Eye is On the Sparrow, the child actor Brandon de Wilde singing in a very sweet voice and Ethel Waters esp at the end of the movie when she has experienced several tragedies.